Wednesday, April 15, 2015

hello, pocatello!


Let me tell you a story. 

Once upon a time there was a boy named Trager and a girl named Jena. They were married in a beautiful, white castle and began a happily ever after life together. Trager was to be a doctor and Jena a writer and all would be well in the land. Everything would happen immediately and would come without any trial.

Sounds too easy, right?

What we quickly learned is that no matter how long you've been planning for something or how much effort and prayer and money you put into an endeavor, sometimes the Lord has other plans. Trager and I spent the last three years with a big "What's Next??" looming over our heads and in a figurative limbo. There were a lot of tears and some serious frustration. I can honestly say Trager put 110% of everything he had into pursuing medical school and, you know what, it didn't work out. 
Looking back from where we are now I see why it happened that way. 
It wasn't what he was meant to do. 

At first that was so hard to take. Especially as his wife, all I ever want for Trager are all the good things in life because I ardently believe he deserves them.  To watch him struggle was the worst and as the planner that I am I was desperate to know where our life was headed. 
And now we do!!!

After multiple medical school applications, a brief flirtation with law school, Trager will be starting pharmacy school this fall at Idaho State University in Pocatello, ID.

We are over the moon about how it all worked out!!!! My cousin's husband has been attending ISU for three years now and has absolutely loved it. We talked with him and my uncle a few times about pharmacy school over the past couple of years. Last year was too soon; we weren't quite ready to stop pursuing medical school. We were ready this year.
In January my uncle talked with Trager again about the idea and the more he thought about it the more excited he got about it! We talked it over and decided he should apply. 
This was the last part of January and the application was due February 1st. 
Three weeks later he found out he had an interview.
Two weeks after that we flew out and he went through the process.
Two {slow} weeks later he was ACCEPTED!
Boom. Boom. Boom. 
It was just so easy and just felt so right.

All along Trager has said he wants a job that will allow him to live the life he wants: to be a worthy priesthood holder who can attend his meetings on Sunday and give extra time throughout the week; a father who can come to the ball games and help with homework at night and go on evening horse rides; the husband who does the dishes after dinner and comes home to his wife every night.
Pharmacy will let him do that!

We are beyond grateful for the path we were put on three years ago that has led us here. We are so sad to be leaving Oklahoma, but are ecstatic to start this new chapter! 

And we may just have to try some of that potato flake chocolate milk ;)

2 comments :

  1. I have found that is has been a tremendous blessing to share life with my husband as we embark on the journey of finding our passion. I have greatly enjoyed the support from him through college and as I begin my masters this summer. I'm excited for you guys and hope everything transitions for you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I agree, having someone by your side makes everything a little bit sweeter :)

      Delete