Thursday, February 5, 2015

Review #9: "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho


Favorite Quotes:

"When we first begin fighting for our dream, we have no experience and make many mistakes. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and get up eight times." -Introduction vii
 
"And if you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -page 22

"I'm like everyone else--- I see not the world in terms of what I would like to see happen, not what actually does." -page 40

"I'm afraid if my dream is realized, I'll have no reason to go on living." -page 55

"...he had loved her before he even knew she existed. He knew that his love for her would enable him to discover every treasure in the world." -page 94

"'But this payment goes well beyond my generosity,' the monk responded.
'Don't say that again. Life might be listening, and give you less the next time.'" -page 155

About the Main Character:

"The boy's name was Santiago." -page 1. That is the first and, I'm pretty sure, the last time we hear "the boy's" name throughout the entirety of the novel. After I finished, I started thinking about my review and went, "What is 'the boy's' name?!? Doe he have one?! And sure enough, he does! Although as Santiago embarks to fulfill his Personal Legend, he is simply referred to as "the boy." When the audience is introduced to Santiago, he is a shepard on his way to a town where a beautiful girl lives. He is also pondering a recurring dream he is having. After he learns what his dream means, the audience ventures with him on his quest to realize his Personal Legend of finding a treasure. Along the way he learns more about the Soul of the World and meets many characters who teach him more about life.

Another Character to Note:
 
Melchizedek is one of the most interesting characters in the novel. There are several people who help him along the way, but Melchizedek, or the King of Salem as he claims to be, seems to have the most influence. He meets Santiago early in his journey (really before it begins) and gives him guidance that shapes how he will view the world for the rest of his life. The interaction between Santiago and Melchizedek reads a bit like a modern day parable to me. Really lovely and insightful.
 
Plot Breakdown:
 
1. The Girl in the Valley...Santiago starts off the book as a dreamer seeking the heart of a pretty girl.
 
 
2. Dream Interpreting, Treasure, and Pyramids...The journey for his Personal Legend starts with a gypsy.
 
3. The King of Salem...Melchizedek sets the boy on the right track and teaches him about the Soul of the World.
 
4. Omens and Thieves...Beginner's luck gets the boy's hopes up, but his fate takes a turn for the worst.
 
5. Selling Crystal...After his fate takes a turn, Santiago has to pay his dues and learn some lessons along the way.
 
6. The Oasis...The boy continues to on his journey after joining a caravan to the Pyramids. Love finds him in the desert.
 
7. The Alchemist...He helps the boy finish out his journey and teaches him much.
 
8. The Boy basically becomes an Airbender...and it wraps up nicely!
 

Something Interesting to Note:
 


I'm going to use this section as more of a "Tip to Reading" area. My number one would be to read the Introduction and the after notes of the book. I found it so endearing that Paulo Coehlo 100% believes everything he wrote. And he writes it that way. You can't help, but get enthralled with the story and the idea of Personal Legends.
PS-Let me know if you can figure out that Prologue. The metaphors abound!!!
 
Should you read The Alchemist before you die?
 
If you had asked me this the first time I read it I would have said it was too deep and left it at that. But, after reading it again, especially where we are in our lives, it really touched me. Any book that promotes following your dreams or "Personal Legends" is a resounding YES from me. 

2 comments :

  1. I love this book! It reminds me of The Little Prince, which you should definitely read. Also Siddhartha, which Gina recommended to me last year. They all have a similar tone. So much wisdom packed into such simple language. Isn't it beautiful to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was beautiful! It read like a parable to me the entire time!

    ReplyDelete