Sunday, January 18, 2015

Review #7: "Because I could not stop for Death" by Emily Dickinson

 
Favorite Quotes:
 
"Because I could not stop for Death -
He kindly stopped for me - " -stanza 1
 
"Since then - 'tis Centuries - and yet
Feels shorter than the Day" -stanza 6
 
About the Main Character:
 
The name or identity of the main character of this poem is never clearly given, but we know the person has died.
 
Another Character to Note:
 
The other character in the poem is Death personified. Death comes courting for the narrator and carries them to their eternity in a carriage.
 
Plot Breakdown:
 
1. Stanza 1...Um, sorry Death, I'm too busy for you!
 
2. Stanza 2...Okay, if you're going to be so dang nice, I'll stop my work and play for you.
 
3. Stanza 3...Oh youth, and life, I shall miss being a part of all of this!
 
4. Stanza 4...Death, please stop making everything so cold, I'm not wearing enough to keep warm.
 
5. Stanza 5...Nice to meet you grave, but I'll only be going on from here!
 
6. Stanza 6...Even though this memory is centuries old, I remember everything.
 
Something Interesting to Note:
 
This poem technically has no title. Dickinson never titled her poems because she only ever intended to keep them private. The poems have been given number titles based on when they were assumed to be written. This poem is either recognized as 479 or (712).
 
Should you read "Because I could not stop for Death" by Emily Dickinson?
 
I want to say yes, but Dickinson's poetry is not simply for reading. If you want to get anything out of it must be very closely analyzed. Poetry is not my favorite, but I would suggest reading it just so you can relate to people when they talk about how dense it is!!

No comments :

Post a Comment