Monday, February 9, 2015

Valentine's Day Banner!


Recently, my mom and I had a craft night and made some fun Valentine's Day banners! And it was seriously just what I needed! There's nothing quite like hanging out with your mom all day and leaving with paint on your hands and glitter everywhere else :)

Since these were so easy and fun I thought I would share it here! 

Valentine's Day Heart Banner

Materials Needed:
  •  1/2 yard burlap
  • Round sponge
  • Mod Podge
  • Twine
  • Paint brush
  • Hot glue gun {And glue obviously}
  • 2 sheets cardstock {For outlining}
  • Red glitter
  • White paint
  • Pink paint

 Step 1: Make a triangle outline out of your cardstock. Fold your paper in half and then cut from the top corner to the crease in the middle that you created when you folded the paper if you want it to be perfect :) Next, use that outline to cut 5 triangles out of your burlap. It helps to pin the paper outline to the burlap for cutting. It definitely wants to move around otherwise!

Step 2: Use your round sponge to paint each triangle pink. My mom and I used a sponge brush at first, but found that the round sponge we were using to make the polka dots worked better. I had to do two coats when I did mine with a sponge brush, but it only takes one with the round sponge. 

Step 3: After your pink paint has dried completely, it's time to dot! Clean your round sponge and use it to make roughly 7 polka dots on your triangle. It's best to come up with a pattern for your dots that you recreate consistently on each triangle as you will need to be sure to leave room for the red glitter heart {the best part in my opinion!}

Step 4: Using your other sheet of cardstock, make a heart outline. At first I really wanted a big, traditional heart, but the skinny, quirky one we ended up with was pretty darn cute if I do say so myself! Outline the heart with pencil on each triangle. Or you can do one at a time for the next few steps. Whatever works for you!

Step 5: After you have a clearly defined heart outline, use your paint brush to paint the heart with Mod Podge. Immediately after your heart is podged {yup, I'm sticking with podged}, sprinkle it with your red glitter. I use a spoon because it helped me better control the glitter. After it sets for a few seconds bend the triangle and shake off the excess glitter either back into the container or into a bowl.


 Step 6: Admire your kick ace glitter heart!!

Step 7: Glue gun time! Once you have all five of your glitter hearted triangles you will want to put a line of hot glue at the very top of your triangle. Immediately after that you will lay your twine over the glue. Each triangle needs to be about an inch apart on the banner. It's up to you how much twine you would like to have on each side depending on how big you want your banner to be.
 {Fair warning: That burlap will not defend your precious little fingers from the burning fire that is hot glue! But, you are going to need to press the burlap and twine together to ensure it sticks. I suggest gloves or something. You will get burned...I'm speaking from experience here people :)} 

Step 8: Find the cutest place in your house to display your new banner! Like my mom's mantle in the top picture.
I hope you all try this one out! Super easy and just the right balance between shabby chic and glitter if you ask me! I also recommend music, a good friend, and chocolate for your banner making experience...it's just better that way! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment