Monday, February 16, 2015

Review #10: "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss


Favorite Quotes:

"All I want is not to die on a day when I went unseen." -page 4

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering." -page 11

"I had left my anger somewhere long ago. Put it down on a park bench and walked away." -page 18

"I kept my manuscript in a box in the oven." -page 26

"I know there is a moral to this story, but I don't know what it is." -page 39

"...when I said I was going up to my room she'd call after me, 'What can I do for you I love you so much,' and I always wanted to say, but never said: Love me less." -page 43

"22. THAT YEAR I WORE MY FATHER'S SWEATER FOR FORTY-TWO DAYS STRAIGHT" -page 49

"So many words get lost. They leave the mouth and lose their courage, wandering aimlessly until they are swept into the gutter like dead leaves." -page 111

"Perhaps that's why I hoarded the world: with the hope that when I died, the sum total of my things would suggest a life larger that the one I lived." -page 165

"As certain as I am sitting here now, this letter exists. And yet. In my heart, I know my hand is empty." -page 230

"Leopold Gursky started dying on August 18, 1920."

About the Main Character:

Alma Singer. Leo Gursky. These two take the lead in The History of Love. Alma lost her father from cancer and has been trying to survive the tailspin it sent her family into. Leo lost the love of his life long ago and has lived a secluded life ever since. This story beautifully outlines how their paths cross and the happiness and revelation it brings to them both.

Another Character to Note:

Bruno is Leo's best friend. They grew up together in Poland and reunited in America. Bruno and Leo check in on each other periodically to be sure they don't die without it being noticed. Bruno gives Leo the gumption he needs to go to his son's house and generally keeps the loneliness from killing him. To explain what makes Bruno interesting would be giving too much away. He's just interesting...trust me.

Plot Breakdown:

1. The nude old man...Leo Gursky, the man who wanted to be seen.

2. Alma Singer. An Alma, but not the only one...we're introduced to the Singer family in list form {which I love!}

3. Zvi Litvinoff...the man of great guilt.

4. The loss of someone someone important...Leo loses someone before he can express how important they are to him.

5. Alma, the matchmaker, and the translation...Alma's mother begins translating a book and, as always, Alma thinks the man who commissioned her might be the one to break her out of her slump.

6. Why Litvinoff did what he did...the story is actually pretty sad.

7. Bruno gets Leo to where he needs to go...He's looking for answers.

8.  Misha's kiss, searching for Alma, and Bird's journal...Alma's plot continues to thicken.
9. Alma finds who she's looking for

10. Bird gets involved...he's hoping to prove himself to someone very important.

11. The Park Bench

Something Interesting to Note:

One of the things I loved about this book was the freedom Krauss took with the formatting. The perspective changes each chapter. There are pages with three words. There is a page without a number. Krauss was thoughtful in the layout and final product of The History of Love and I think it adds so much to the novel.
I also love how Krauss addresses the theme of death and how her characters each depict a different coping mechanism with loss. There are characters that she doesn't really tell you much about other than showing you how they deal with the loss of a loved one and that's all your really need to know because they have become their loss. Krauss shows how telling of a person grief can be. 

Should you read The History of Love before you die?

I'm having a hard time settling on the answer for this one. I think this book can make a huge impact if read at a certain season in life and I think I read it in the wrong one. So I didn't connect with it as much as other people I know who have read it...which makes me want to say "No." But, I also feel like the originality, tenderness, and beautiful execution of the novel warrants a resounding "YES!!" And what more could one really ask for in a novel??? So I think that I want to stick with yes....yup, it's gonna be a yes for this one.
The History of Love is definitely a novel that demands to be reread because there is so much more to it than what I took away the first time.

2 comments :

  1. The first time I finished this book I remember sitting it down and thinking, "What?" The only feeling I can compare it to is when you run into an old friend and you have a really short, awkward conversation that ends abruptly...like they take a phone call and you have to go, so you just do...and then you spend the rest of the day going, "What?" But I read it again. And again. And again. I realized why I didn't really "get it" the first time: I didn't identify with any of the characters. None of them were my age. None of them were acting or reacting in the way I would. But what pulled me back time after time was the style of writing. I want to write so honestly, so clearly, so meaningfully, that little phrases like, "and yet", might make the reader's eyes water. The more I read it, the more I loved the characters and the story. But it was the style that make it a must-read for me. One of my favorite quotes from the book: "Then, very quickly, as if it weren't the point of everything, she said the book had belonged to Dad. Bird hurried over and touched the cover." And my final thought, don't you want to know what the other chapters are in the History of Love. The Age of Glass. The Age of Silence. The Birth of Feeling. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely relate to the, "What?" reaction! I think the style allows for so much tenderness and originality that I couldn't help but like the book. I kept feeling like Krauss is the type of person who 100% does not care if you read her book as long as it was exactly what she meant to write when she's finished. Very uninhibited.

      And yes, I want to know more!! more!! more!!

      Delete