Sunday, December 14, 2014

Review #2: "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery


Favorite Quotes:
"Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world?" -page 24
"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will." -page 44
"You set your heart too much on things, Anne," said Marilla, with a sigh. "I'm afraid there'll be a great many disappointments in store for you through life." -page 113
"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." -page 145
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." -page 195
 
"That's the worst of growing up, and I'm beginning to realize it. The things you wanted so much when you were a child don't seem half so wonderful to you when you get them." -page 282
"Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them---that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting." -page 338
"I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does." -page 365
About the Main Character:
Oh, my goodness I do not think I could adore a character more than I adore Anne of Green Gables!! We get to see a lot of growth from her as she goes from the "little orphan girl" to a young adult by the end of the novel. I loved how each chapter served as it's own little occasion that didn't really tie to the previous chapter or the one that followed. It allowed for Anne's character to be displayed in many different situations. I think the aspect of Anne that makes her so endearing is her imagination. Throughout the book she talks about how certain places or people allow for more "scope of imagination" than others. She is constantly renaming areas of Green Gables with more "fantastical" names like "The Lake of Shining Waters." Yet, Anne's imagination is not always to her benefit. There are several, usually hilarious, instances when Anne's imagination gets the best of her and causes chaos. It is also very sweet to read about the different interactions she has with the other characters. From her adoptive mother, Marilla to her "bosom friend" Diana Barry. L.M. Montgomery perfectly captures what it is to be an imaginative young girl when she writes Anne.  And even more so, Montgomery seamlessly transitions Anne into a more mature and conscientious young lady. I think at one point or another in the book, any female who reads it would identify a part of herself with Anne of Green Gables. She is one of my favorite characters I've ever come across!

Another Character to Note:
Gilbert Blythe, bless his heart, is Anne's unequivocal nemesis. He made the ultimate mistake of teasing her about her red hair and his fate was sealed. Anne would hate him till the end of time. And once young Anne made up her mind it was set. The girl can be a little stubborn! Throughout the book Gilbert is mentioned in small ways that keep him at the forefront of the audience's mind. The other little girls describe him as handsome and he is Anne's number one competition in school. One of my only complaints of this book would be that I wanted more Gilbert Blythe. But, then I realized there are more books and it makes sense why he is so limited. I'll definitely be reading more Anne of Green Gables so I can hear more about the dreamy Gilbert Blythe!!
Plot Breakdown:
1. A Boy by any Other Name would be...Anne! A mix-up at the orphanage results in a sweet red headed girl waiting for Matthew Cuthbert at the train station.
2. A Little Trouble and a Prayer...Marilla quickly learns what she signed up for with Anne.
3. Kindred Spirits and Bosom Friends...introducing the wonderful Diana Barry!
4. Carrots, Carrots!!...Poor Gilbert didn't stand a chance.
5. A Tragedy and a Miracle....Anne makes a mistake that costs her dearly, but she triumphs with the smarts from her orphan upbringing!
6. Recitation, Haunted Woods, and a Rotten Cake...Anne continues to navigate daily mishaps and her easily exicted imagination.
7. The Dress with Puffy Sleeves...maybe Anne isn't so "homely" after all!
8. A Queen's Girl...away from Green Gables, Anne pursues a dream.
9. First Touch of Loss...the realities of life catch up with Anne in Green Gables and make her rethink a lot her upcoming decisions.
10. What's Around the Bend??...So many new and exciting things are developing as the book comes to an end! (Thank you, L.M. Montgomery. We get it; you want us to read the other books!!)
Something Interesting to Note:
Marilla Cuthbert's internal struggle is one of my favorite aspects of the book. Anne was never what she planned on, but it is obvious that she quickly cherishes the little girl. Yet, over the course of the book, Marilla fights with herself to hide this affection so as not to spoil Anne. I find this interesting because I would get so frustrated with Marilla withholding her true feelings from Anne, but at the same time I completely understood why she did it! The wrestling Marilla does internally is well-explained and begs for the audience to engage in it too. It is for Anne's better meant, which is clearly effective as the story progresses, but it pulls at your heart strings, both for Anne and Marilla, as you read.
Should you read Anne of Green Gables before you die?
Yes, yes, yes you should! Behind the freckles and red hair, Anne is full of wisdom...which she doesn't share as wisdom and it makes it even more enjoyable to read and learn from. Anne of Green Gables isn't really teaching anything, but reminding the audience of the things we so often take for granted. I was reminded to enjoy the little things like violets and the turning of the leaves in the fall. I was reminded to cherish those friends who truly understand you and love you despite your flaws. I was reminded to be a little kinder and a little quicker to forgive. Anne is the perfect example of learning from your mistakes and allowing your imagination to help you through hard times. I especially liked Anne's optimistic perspective. It was rather timely heading into the Christmas season to think about all the good there is in life.
I would say it is a must read for all, but insist upon it for women! One of my new favorites!






No comments :

Post a Comment