Wednesday, December 17, 2014

5 Favorite Literary Ladies

Elizabeth Bennett of Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth is one of my favorites because she has spunk. In a time when women were expected to bob, she weaved and I loved her for it. Elizabeth taught me that I could be who I wanted to be, not what everyone thought I should be. But, I also love that she allowed herself to change. I would have missed out on a lot of wonderful experiences if  I hadn't been willing to give a little.

Josephine "Jo" March of Little Women 
This entry should really be for all the March sisters because they remind me so much of my sisters. And "Marmee" is my mother in literary form. She is always so even, caring, and protective of her girls! Reading about sisters has always been one of my favorite things and this book and these sisters will forever be a favorite because they remind me of some of my very favorite people!

Scout Finch of To Kill a Mockingbird
I remember thinking after being introduced to Scout, "This girl is older than her years." And even though Scout was so mature and wise in many ways, she was still a young girl. I loved watching her navigate the balance. Although most of the struggles Scout faces are bigger than any I've ever seen, I wanted to be like her because she stood up for what she knew was right at such a young age...even when the majority was against her.

Liesel Meminger of The Book Thief 
 Liesel caught my attention with her intense desire to learn. The poor girl saw much adversity before she made it to her new home. Yet, she allowed her new Papa to connect with her and in so doing opens a new door for herself: her Papa taught her to read. I love how passionate she was about the things that were important to her. She let the book burn her chest; she stole from the mayor; she hid her new Jewish friend. Liesel was brave.

Anne Shirley of Anne of Green Gables
 Anne won my heart over by page 5 or so. She is just so lovable! I think when it comes down to it, Anne's optimism is what makes her so personable. Her character is also a chasm of highs and lows; Anne goes from a puffy sleeve high to a haunted forest low. But, let's be honest here, every girl has been there before! And she's just so thankful for everything she's given. Even though her character is younger than I am, I learned a lot from her.

Who are some of your favorite literary ladies?






No comments :

Post a Comment